Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gunung Besar Hantu aka Big Ghost Mountain


Yeah I know this event was like 3 weeks ago but damn it, it doesn't have to be this way.

I got wind from a special someone that the Bmedians and Infinity Milers were heading for a jungle trekking expedition to an obscure mountain that goes by the name of Gunung Besar Hantu.

Now where exactly is this mountain?




ACTIVITIES & TOYS & TOYS~GAMES ACTIVITY PUZZLES from giggle A little geographical lesson would be needed before we continue. This place is right smack middle of the 3 great states of Selangor, Pahang and our very own Negeri Sembilan. The peak of this mountain is 2200-2500 meters above sea level. It is said that you could actually see the 3 great landscapes from the apex of the mountain.

So another camping trip eh? I remembered damn well what happened the last time I went for a camping trip. I had like multiple cramps on both quads till I almost didn't make it to the top of the dreaded Mountain of Fire.

Mulu 2007: Pinnacle Shot

Though I had conquered the infamous Fire Mountain, the fact that I had cramps still haunts me to this this very day. Shin Yee would never ever let me forget that fact. So with my quads, ego and balls on the line I decided to agree on this trip.

We were supposed to arrive in IMU BJ at 6.30 p.m. that Friday but were delayed due to someones birthday party.

After much gobbling of cake and on the receiving end of every cramp joke my wonderful housemates could think of, Keat How (my partner in crime this time) jumped into Bena and drove as fast as possible to BJ where we arrived in 30 minutes time (my personal best)

Alas when we arrived, no one was to be seen. Apparently 6.30 p.m. to preclinical students means 7.30 p.m. and for the Bmedians 8.45 p.m. who were at Jaslyn's place.



Needless to say Jack was a bit ticked off.

So lets just skip the boring part where Patrick and me raced on the highway to reach the base camp burning so much fuel that I had to use neutral gear whenever I could to save gas for the trip back.


Fast forward to the next day

After we broke camp, we headed towards the opening of this so called Ghost Mountain. With 15kg backpacks and breathing through humid jungle air with minimal water supply, gosh we had a jolly good time now didn't we?




For 2 hours we marched through virgin forest. As we marched we encountered what would become one of my mortal enemies in Mother Nature, the pacat.




The pacat or Hirudo medicinalis Linnaeus were everywhere. These sumbitches actually gnawed through my sock to suck on my foot. They start of small and thin and begin to grow like a 13 year old boy reaching adolescence into this big fat disgusting piece of shit that just refuses to relinquish its hold on my skin. After I burned off that bastard, the heparin remained in that localized area preventing my blood from clotting for 2-3 hours. The worst thing about these little buggers is that you don't know when or (worse) where they would bite you. (Jack got his scrotum sucked on by these leeches).






not actual leech bite experienced during our trip

I had an epiphany too during the trip.

I finally realized why they are vegetarians around. It was not due to their love of animals mind you. I think the first vegetarians started to come into human existence when men started venturing out from the caves and come into contact with plants. Previously they were happy people eating a wide range of animals.

Then once they come into contact with those damn plants that cause you to have a hypersensitive reaction towards it and those sharp thorny .... thorns ( you come up with a better adjective) that rip apart your Van Der Ling jersey you love so much *sobs* .... Where was I? oh yea goddamn plants.

Those soon to be vegetarians decided enough was enough and started to eat those plants eliminating species after species so that they would never evvvverrr harm anybody again. I made a pledge to become a vegetarian as soon as I got back to civilization ..... after i finish eating this nasi briyani kambing.


Luckily I had 2 wonderful girls to make the boo-boo better :D


After much huffing and puffing we finally reached the base camp for the summit.

It was de-pacating time with Mr Dunhill.

Removing and throwing those slimy little S.O.B.s brought me much sadistic pleasure.

We were ordered to pitch our tents before the sun got down as the ladies went to a nearby stream to wash the dirt and grime away from their bodies together. Oh yeah ... I pitched my tent alright. : D



Now this part I choose to omit. Much of what happened when us M205 guys during the 30 minutes we took to bathe shall remain as it is. Trust us you don't wanna know.

Anyhoo moving on...


Back at base camp we had to prepare our dinner. The 'veteran' juniors prepared what one would consider a healthy dish of salmon pasta and a fresh green salad.


We, the proud veterans of 3 EOS examinations prepared something less impressive.


Keat How desperately using magic to conjure up food

I made myself useful by helping my friends clear whats on their plates so that they were able to fill it up again.


As soon as dinner was over Pat and Shin Yee spent some time alone star gazing. I thought it was rather sweet of those two. I proposed my idea to Keat How that received a very violent response.

Right after cleaning up we went around the campfire and had smoke blown into our faces. I got real sleepy and decided that it was time to sleep. I crept back into the boys tent and started sleeping.

One thing I found out about Jack is that he snores so loud that he makes a 8.0 Richter Scale earthquake seem like handphone vibration in comparison. Honestly I almost thought a wild tiger was about to attack our tent and drag me off to make me a practice prey for their young cubs.

Around 4 in the morning we got up and prepared for the final trek towards the summit. Luckily for us some of the Infinity Miler boys volunteered to carry all the water for us so that it won't slow us down. For you see it was best to reach the top before dawn to ensure that we could fully enjoy the view up there.

We then began our rather unique experience of jungle trekking through unknown terrain with steep ledges, really bad ass thorny plants, tripping roots and really slippery trails with nothing but torch light and our voices to guide one another. Very nnniiiccceee .....



A hypoglycemic mind compounded with dyspepsia is not a way to enjoy a 'so-called beautiful sunrise'.



As soon as we reached up there I was disappointed. No nope not disappointed, pissed. The view was nothing of what I expected. They said we could see Petronas Twin Towers, Genting and Banjaran Titiwangsa. ZzZzZzZz ..... I could see those damn things from Vista A 2oth floor : (

Eventually after leaving my mark (or so to speak) we whored ourselves in front of the camera. Kevin would be proud of me.







30 minutes went by so fast and we had to go back down to break camp. Though I did not have cramps on the way up, I had falls on the way down.

Fall after fall after fall.

One particular fall was quite embarrassing. I was behind Jaslyn when I lost my footing and landed flat on my ass. Before I could get up from my aforementioned ass Jaslyn looked at me and started laughing hysterically. After what seemed like a long long time she finally regained her composure and helped me get to my feet while trying to snuff out a chuckle as my face went bright red from that rather awkward moment. Later she said to me that that was one of the cutest moment I had. Girls are weird in that sense, whats so cute about poor Sebby falling on his ass?




Moving on .... our next destination was a famous waterfall of which due to much falling on my ass I forgot its name.

I noticed that guides can be very optimistic. Ours a pretty Malay lady barely older than us kept saying that the site was 10 minutes away every time we asked how long more. She kept saying it for the past 2 hours and we very doubtful until we heard the sound of the waterfall.



The waterfall was really really worth those 8 hours trekking. It was 6 stories high and the water was borderline orgasmic. Keat How and I just stared at it with a trickle of saliva from our mouths. We quickly took off our bloodstained shoes and ripped off our shirts and ran to join a bunch of pharmacy chicks in near the waterfall. Jaslyn and Shin Yee watched with much disapproval when both us rocking cool single dudes were cozying up with the cute pharmacy chicks. :P


Hell one of them, Grace was hugging on to Keat How and me to prevent her from getting swept away from those nasty strong currents.


As much as we wanted to play Tarzan to their Jane we had to dress and leave ASAP. A 4x4 pickup truck was waiting for us to bring us back to HQ. With my head resting on Jaslyn's shoulder I fell asleep as the rest of the juniors were packed up at the back of the pick up truck where they got drenched when Mother Nature decided to let her rain come down and wash us clean.



From HQ we went to our respective vehicles back into civilization. Let me tell you, nature has indeed been fun but after all the pacat and the thorns and the ledges in which Pat almost fell right through (I promised that Shin Yee would be taken proper care of if he does). Despite all the joint aches and bleeding we had to deal with, nothing makes it all worth than spending it with the people you truly care about.

Thanks guys for such a memorable occasion




Much UN-conditional love from

Sebby

1 comment:

Jeremy Nunis said...

Falling on your butt...

Ahhh.. that would have been a moment to treasure :P